Welcome


Welcome to common elements of me.
I am simple, and complex.
I come here to express and vent- and share.
Enjoy, relish, and comment.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Outside the Box with a Trickster

What is creativity? This was a huge debate within my section today.
What did some of my colleagues say? Well some felt that it was difficult, some felt that is was not necessary, and some felt that it is something you do in higher order thinker. Something that a few strongly argued on is that creativity is simply "thinking outside the box". I think it is limiting- creative is something I cannot define. My creativity is different then yours and I think how a teacher sees creativity is going to differ.
But, the question the scares me is the value of creativity. I strongly value creativity in my students. I want them to show me what they can do- and I don't want to tell them what they are going to do. I can say write me a story but I don't want to ever read the same story 20 times!
It was ironic however, that with 5 of us being in the Imagination and Creativity we didn't really say anything. Obviously creativity is important. Obviously imagination is something to be desired. But that is my opinion.
I feel like we are having an issue between teachers. Everyone thinks they are right. No one seems to respect each others opinion. I have to respect my colleague. John* doesn't want to highlight creativity and imagination in his science class. Well it is not my job to tell him he is wrong. Because he could be right within science. But within my history class I plan on tackling imagination and creativity. I want to be respected for that too. It is so frustrating that teachers are not respecting each other. We are in this profession for a reason- because we want to be good teachers. However being a good teacher will be different for each of us. And I hope our section can learn to bond and respect each others differences because that is the only way for us to grow as teachers and colleagues.

Anyways, today in my ICE class we had a guest speaker. Who used trickster tales to teach us about assessment in creative classrooms. Well, all I could think of was Supernatural. Dean (Jensen Ackles) is super beautiful. So I was obviously distracted with images of beauty.

And then I ate some Rolo's. delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment