Welcome


Welcome to common elements of me.
I am simple, and complex.
I come here to express and vent- and share.
Enjoy, relish, and comment.

Saturday, November 17, 2012

Assessment- or Evaluation?

Hey hey,
So it is rather late, but I could not sleep- thinking about a couple things. So I figured, if you can't sleep you should write.
Firstly I had my assessment on Wednesday, and I asked the lady supervising (whose job I may be taking), "Is this an assessment or an evaluation?". Her answer was: "What is the difference?" That is when I realized I am highly qualified for her job. ASSESSMENT VERSUS EVALUATION- Take it away Bachelor of Education.
FYI- it was not an assessment- it was an evaluation. 
But for the sake of argument we can continue calling it an assessment.

Anyways, despite my horrible grammar/English comprehension she began to mark my English component as I worked on my math assessment (there was no good in that). And she, in the middle of my test, asked "are you an English Major?". I quickly commented, no, and I often struggle with grammar and English skills. She seemed shocked, and when I asked her, she said I scored higher in English then an English major she had in previous to do the same assessment. That's when I was shocked, but quickly hid it with amusement. Perhaps, university did teach me a thing or two? Perhaps several.
The math was another story; I made up several answers- I guessed to see if they seemed right, or close enough. I had said in my interview that I doubt I could pass math beyond grade 9 at my current, state and they said they wouldn't need me to teach math, but that it was still a required part of the horrid assessment. I frankly did not even understand half the questions- which was slightly amusing as well.
Anyways, I must of done all right, considering they are booking me for a final interview (hurrah!).

So, there is something kinda bugging me. This summer I worked a variety of jobs, only one I really loved- and I really screwed up. I was working at a shoe store, that many of you have heard of, and I loved my job- and I was naturally good at it. Then, they changed their rules of amount of full timers per  money earned; therefore demoting our entire store to part-time.



Therefore, I had to get a second job. So I did, I got a job at a famous Canadian Coffee and Bakery shop. I made it well known that I had no intention quitting the job I love for them, and wanted the schedules to work together. That worked for about 4 weeks. By then, that coffee shop, that was 24 hours, with "flexible" hours, offered me an ultimatum either quit there or quit the job I love. Feeling, under pressure for coming up with the money difference, I made my first mistake, and that was to commence working night shift at the coffee shop and days at the shoe store. Meaning, I no longer slept. Meaning, I became a zombie. After 3 weeks of night shift, I couldn't do it any more, and I made another exhausted decision - to quit the job I love and work days at the coffee shop. This was mistake number too. They never put me back on days. And I don't even know how many times I requested it, and begged them. Then, it got worse. I had some of the lovely ladies (not managers, not supervisors) yelling at me- about forgetting to put something out (like maple flakes) at 5 am. I was being humiliated by other staff members. I was being insulted, and constantly belittled. My managers and supervisors did nothing. The day before I quit, I was already serving 3 "guests" at once, and I had a lady, who was training people for another store, yell at me about doing more at once. And I told her, I cannot do anything else. I am doing the best I can. I cannot serve Ice cream, and two counters and drive through by myself. She proceeded to call me incompetent- in front of the guest I was serving at that moment. In retrospect, I should have quit then, I should have just walked out. But instead, I finished serving the guest, and allowed her to continue to humiliate me. I knew it was a matter of time before I either cried publicly (again) or quit. The next day I handed in my uniform and gave them no notice. Don't get me wrong, many of the franchises to work for are a lot better, and treat you with respect (like a person, not a machine), but this one was so not okay. And, I didn't mind the job itself, it was the people I worked with- they humiliated, insulted, and belittled on a regular basis. And the only person who didn't do that, wasn't allowed to work with me, because we knew each other outside of work. However, thats the long story, the short story is- I wanted to write them a letter, to management, to human resources, and to the owner, but I never did. Too much aggression? Perhaps? Too late? Somewhat. Worried about the consequences? Absolutely. I hate saying bad things about others, (for the most part)... but if I was treated like that, who else was? I lost a great job for this company, and got treated like garbage for it. It is unbelievable the crap you can put yourself through, and let others get away with treating you like crap. Maybe I should write that letter still, so I can say No it wasn't okay, and you guys need to know that it wasn't.
Maybe the letter won't even be acknowledged. Who knows. Perhaps, that should be my next writing project.

And, another sad part of this is, I use to be a huge fan of this coffee shop, it was close to home, but now I cringe at the thought of entering any of them- especially this one. Because, I am reunited with the feelings of humiliation.

I should also give credit where credit is due; I had one manager who worked there, (often we did not work together), who regularly took me away from the others, told me I was doing a good job, and did what she could to help me out. She treated me like a person, and it made me respect her all the more. When I do go in there now- I look for her- because she is one of the few worth it.

I don't want anyone to be thinking: BOYCOTT THIS PRODUCT, no, I don't think that helps any workers, and you would all screw me over. But, watch how the person making your food, or serving your coffee is being treated- if they aren't being treated well, speak up- because management doesn't give a shit about those employees. But they have that new "make it right" policy, so that the customer is always happy. A happy employee = a happy customer.

Anyways, perhaps I should still write this letter. The longer I put it off the less meaningful it will be... but I just feel that they need to know; and that they should change and grow. Imagine how many kids in school work there, and get treated that way (like crap?). It is not right and I hope that company does make room for change- because you need to treat your employees (those who do the hard labour) better then that- and treat them like people not little machines (PEOPLE!!!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment